High on a hill in the village of Southern Lancaster Indiana stands Eleutherian College. Founded in 1848, this building is a monument to a group of people believing in education, the arts, and equality without the regard to race or gender. Atop the hill in 1856 the large stone building was completed. The stone was quarried nearby, the timber was readily available, and all the labor was contributed. As a result the cost was negligible. The building measured 65 feet by 42 feet. The Historic Eleutherian College is now owned and operated by Historic Eleutherian College, Inc. a non-profit organization established to restore and interpret this ver special place. Historic Eleutherian College has been structurally reinforced with interior steel beams. The rafters and roof have been restored. The exterior stone walls of the building have been repaired as well. All of the original windows have been restored and still exist in the building today. A great deal of renovation is still needed to re-plaster the walls and ceiling. Both the floors and doors are also in need of restoration. Two front doors open into an entrance hall, and an additional set of doors open into the large chapel room which rises two stories high with a wide sloping balcony. Two enclosed stairways exist at each end of the entrance hall leading to seven classrooms located on the second and third floors. The bell tower still contains the original cast iron bell which was created in Madison, Indiana and brought to the college by ox cart. The college building is listed as a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Park Service. It is also listed in the Indiana & National Register of Historic Places, has been designated as a Save America's Treasure by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and is on the Millenium Trail. The Lyman Hoyt House, also owned by Historic Eleutherian College, was the residence of Lyman & Aseneth Hoyt. Lyman Hoyt was a known conductor on the Underground Railroad and an officer in the Neil's Creek Anti-Slavery Society.